|Nudibranchs - Sunshine Coast etc. / DSCf09575w
All photos Copyright ©2003-2019 Gary Cobb, David Mullins, Julie Schubert, Terry Farr
Gary Cobb 0416 048 100
|Gymnodoris sp. 10|
|Location: La Balsa Park, Mooloolah River, Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast, Australia
Size: 10 mm
Depth: 5 m
Temperature: 24 C
green blue stripes orange
Photographs by David Mullins and Gary Cobb - Copyright 2003-2019
This specimen found during a night dive in the Mooloolah River. Over a period of a couple of days, while the specimen was being
observed in a collection bowl, the port-wine coloured patches all disappeared. Although not an exact match for the Gymnodoris sp. 10 we have previously recorded,
and usually encounter in the river, it was decided to place it under that name for now. Disparities include:
- A somewhat different body shape.
- Fewer orange pustules on the body surface.
- A greater transparency revealing internal organ detail. (The heart could be seen pumping just anterior to the gill region.)
- Definite small opaque white patches on the epithelium.
- The gill arrangement is also different in form and shape.
- A propensity to contract the rhinophores into what appears to be a common pocket